The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI), the peak body for the automotive industry in Australia, has advised that many vehicle and motorcycle dealerships across Australia are currently open for business, despite the impact of the COVID-19 virus.
Exception for Melbourne metropolitan area
The exception is the Melbourne metropolitan area, which is currently subject to Stage 4 Restrictions. These restrictions dictate that:
- Selected dealerships are open to provide rectification of faulty Takata airbags.
- Selected dealerships are open to provide routine servicing and maintenance for essential workers.
- Selected dealerships are open to provide emergency repairs and maintenance for essential and non-essential workers.
- New vehicle sales are not available except in a COVIDSafe ‘click and collect’ environment.
- Dealerships may provide COVIDSafe onsite services to deliver existing and on-line orders of vehicles to consumers.
While strictly observing all requisite pre-existing hygiene practices, many dealers across the country have included additional precautions to safeguard their customers. These include:
- Virtual sales and service consultations
- Contact-free drop off and pick up of serviced vehicles
- Enhanced detailing and disinfecting practices
- Physical distancing in sales and service facilities